Tuesday, May 03, 2005

broken drum

BECK put out this song on his excellent new disc guero. it's not going to be a video, or a club hit, or a single, or any of that shit.

"Broken Drum" is a super creepy track with a great slide guitar effect and a wide open atmosphere of melancholy. something tells me that this one could fit easily on beck's last release -- my favorite -- sea change. I don't listen to that one anymore because it reminds me of someone who was very close to me but is no longer around. This track is a sequel of sorts I guess.

I see you there
Your long black hair
Your eyes just stare
Your mind is turning

You know I'll laugh
And I won't take it back
I've seen your eyes I know
What your thinking

And one by one
We'll shoot our guns
We'll have fun
Don't ever doubt it

And when I say
Fare thee well
My only friend
Oh how the days go

Your setting sun
Your broken drum
Your little drugs

I'll never forget you
Never
Forget
You


Actually, now that I've listened to the track a couple of times while typing this and reading/re-reading the lyrics, this song reminds me more of the departed than I'd originally thought.

This one makes me blue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home