Wednesday, May 04, 2005

insane art

I picked up the the new Quasimoto: The Return of Lord Quas LP last night at Dusty Groove, and it's excellent.

Quasimoto is a project of Madlib, a highly prolific producer given free reign over at the Stone's Throw label. I've been getting into his shit lately, and as you can see, he's a workaholic.

I caught a documentary on him about a month ago. He's around my age (31) and spends his entire waking hours digging through vinyl looking for samples and loops he can use to craft his productions. He doesn't use computers, and is himself an encyclopedia of beats and loops.

One thing I picked up on -- and definitely noticed during last night's first spin -- is that Madlib may suffer from some sort of mental illness. His albums -- including Lord Quas -- feature some excellent beats,.. and then you'll get a colorful interlude of two minutes of crazy sounding shit,.. and then another outstanding track. It sounds like schizophrenia.

The guy puts out music constantly because he is constantly recording beats and mixing albums together. He has an entire host of MC who rhyme over his beats, and Stones Throw releases it under different titles... but it's all Madlib.

Quasimoto is an interesting project because it's Madlib rhyming with two characters: as himself (madlib), and as Lord Quas (with a voice filter that makes it sound like he's inhaled helium. Example: broad factor (turn it up).

So, either Madlib is schizophrenic or eats mushrooms for breakfast everyday [motherfucker mentions shrooms in interviews often while he's swaying and drooling... I've been told that an acid trip is a taste of insanity].

Who the fuck knows. Look for it.
A-

--

So, yesterday I got this fucked up catalog in the mail from this company called Bud K. I haven't the slightest idea how I got on their mailing list because I never buy shit through the mail. Not even adult videos.

Bud K sells these fucked up weapons at deep discounted prices... like this evil little mofo. Read the fine print:

Unlike any other sword in its class, this hi-tech offers a hanlde with firm gripping power. Simply strap it onto your arm, grab the handle, and your ready to go! Go what? open a belly with a quick slashing motion? Who needs this?

Or this... 12 pocket knives for $6.99. This shit is too fucked up and it fucking scares me. I would argue that the government should be cc'd on customer addresses and purchase orders.

I did find one item that I'd buy if it didn't mean further surveillance... the Lady Luck pewter belt buckle on page 10. That shit is fucking cool! It tells everyone that I am a winner and that I get pussy on demand!

Fuck yes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home