Monday, June 21, 2004

coastal cut-throat! you dirty switch, you're on again!

So it's raining today. It wasn't raining this morning, but it's raining today. It will be raining in an hour and a half when it's time to ride the seven miles home. But that's ok, because I don't fuckin care/because I'm hardcore.

Led Zeppelin's Rain Song is a favorite. I always play it when I run across it on bar jukeboxes. I also always play The Beatles' Daytripper, Radiohead's Dollars and Cents and Pearl Jam's Last Exit. The rest of the time I blindly choose whatever and sip down another pint.

I can easily kill several hours sipping pints, throwing darts, smoking cigarettes, shooting pool and pulling one hitters in the men's room (blow it out the exhaust) at a bar. For a time it was one of my favorite ways to spend an afternoon or evening. I could do it at least once a week. Considering the Irish and German blood, plus genetic code engineering a two-fisted shit-talking chronically-unemployed alcoholic meeting his end before sixty, this sort of thing is my heritage, bitch.

Yesterday was a long wasted day at my parent's place. I cut the lawn for my dad because it was getting long and because I'm sure that he didn't want to do it. I hadn't cut a lawn in over a year. It took me about 45 minutes to push the mower through the half acre. Easy. I'm skilled from way back.

---

Work today is boring. The designer just left because there isn't shit to do. Idle hands are evil hands.

---

This morning I listened to The Breeders: Last Splash on the ride in. It's fucking great, 10 years old and timeless. Kim Deal hijacked all of the elements that made the Pixies great: surf guitar, distortion/feedback, solid beats and guitar hooks and her angelic voice; and showed us why Black Francis isn't half the shit we thought he was, or the Pixies were, without her creative input. The disc plays through effortlessly, but I'm partial to Hag:

Hag! Coastal cut-throat!/You dirty switch,You're on again

All night, all night, all night

Under the stars/Under their light/All over the girl/Only looks bright

You're just like a woman
Hag
You're just like a woman
You're on again

But some...times/Under the stars/Under their light/You're everything right

You're on again!/Under the stars/Under their light/All right/All right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home