Monday, June 14, 2004

Beastie Boys: To the Five Boroughs

here:

www.mtv.com/music/the_leak/beastie_boys/to_the_5_boroughs/

I've been listening through this, and it's just not grabbing me.

That pisses me off a bit because I've always liked the beasties. Maybe it's because I'm 30,.. maybe it's because they're all about 37 years old by now,.. but this just doesn't have the innovation or the imagination and certainly not the lyrics that they had on earlier releases.

This is average at best.

I have excellent memories of being in hot as hell Madison house parties in the middle of July drinking and smoking in the early hours with the Ill Communication in the background...

Or hearing Hello Nasty for the first time on the beach in Milwaukee, and then seeing them in the round with Tribe Called Quest a couple days later.

Maybe they're older/maybe I'm older. This kind of sounds like reaching to the Old School beats and roots because of lack of inspiration. This makes me miss the acid jazz (for real).

Oh yeah, and I didn't laugh once at any of their samples or jokes.

It's almost like hanging out with few years older uncle who you swore was the shit when you were young and now realize that he's just a reaching old tired aging hipster with nothing new to say and no idea how to say it.

This gets a solid C

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home