Tuesday, September 07, 2004

avoid chainsaws

chainsaws!

There were over 28,500 chain saw injuries in 1999. More than 36 percent were injuries to the legs and knees.

* The average chainsaw injury requires 110 stitches and the average medical cost was $5,600 in 1989. Data according to The Davis Garvin Agency, an insurance underwriter specializing in loggers insurance. In 2000, corresponding costs can be estimated to be over $12,000.
* Medical costs for chainsaw injuries based on these facts amount to about $350 million per year.

--

anyways, I purchased a DVD player for $40 yesterday at Best Buy (actually it'll come out to $30 after I mail in the $10 rebate... see, finance majors, $40 - $10 = $30). I was actually a bit sad to have caved in and gotten one. While I've embraced several aspects of our 21st century technology, I've always kind of liked the fact that I've been given over 40 DVDs in the past couple of years, but have had no system to play them on. Most of them are loaned out, and have been on loan for over two years. I tried to reclaim my copy of From Dusk Till Dawn six months ago from Rick, but he asked "why? did you get a DVD player?" when I said no, he told me that I didn't need it back. I agreed.

It struck me that VHS is dead a few weeks ago when I went into Blockbuster and saw the shit selection they've got left over for VHS. VHS is silently and effectively being killed off. You read it here first. Someone should leak this to the press.

Because my TV was manufactured sometime during 1983 or 1984 I don't have the necessary jacks in the back of the set, and now have to purchase a "RF Modulator". whatever dude.

--

I got a voice mail this morning around 9:40 from my friend Sarah telling me that she had just quit/been fired from her shit job, and that she wanted to chat about it this evening. That sucks, I knew that she hated the job, and from what she told me, the owner was super shady (she and the 5 or 6 other employees were never totally certain that their paychecks would clear), but I still felt kind of bad for her and the news, even though she sounded amused. Our pal Todd emailed me that she got fired "for burning bacon in the company kitchen." Shit. I hope that's true.

Shit! That still sucks. That drops her on the attraction scale a few points. I've wisely been trying to avoid attractive crazy people because I've learned what a foolish endeavor it is. I need a life.

Avoid chainsaws.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home